The Southern Maryland Reliability Project’s poles have been engineered to the highest standards and balance functionality with visual aesthetics:
- Double-circuit 230-kV poles with a 69-kV underbuild
- Reduced vulnerability to damage and nearly maintenance free
- Average height of new poles will be 140 feet with 800 feet between poles
- Average height of existing poles is 75 feet with less than 400 feet between poles
- Taller poles means fewer poles – nearly half as many as the existing line.
- Galvanized steel to naturally blend into the horizon
Necessary for Reliability
Southern Maryland has grown significantly over the past 30 years. More residents mean more businesses, schools, shopping centers, and first responders – increased demand is pushing the existing system to the limit.
We’re proud of our environmental track record and have worked to balance the need for reliable power with environmental protection. Impacts will be minimized with protective measures and fully restored after construction is completed.