Rebates for Recycling Refrigerators and Freezers
Want to get rid of those old appliances collecting dust? SMECO will pick up your old refrigerator or freezer for recycling and pay you a $50 reward. The appliance must be in working order.
Learn more about the Recycling Program today.
Rebates for New Appliances
Your home’s major appliances help you keep your home running smoothly. But they are also major energy consumers. If your appliances are old or operating inefficiently, they might use more energy and cost you more on your utility bills.
Program Update - Additional $300 Tax Credit for Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters (In addition to the $350 ENERGY STAR Rebate)
Available until December 31, 2013, take advantage of this Federal tax credit up to $300 when you purchase and install an electric heat pump water heater with an energy factor of at least 2.0. Natural gas, propane or oil water heaters with an energy factor of at least 0.82 or a thermal efficiency of at least 90% are also eligible. The credits were made retroactive to January 1, 2012 and can be used for qualified equipment that was installed any time after December 31, 2011. Learn more about the Federal tax credit and consult a tax advisor for more information.
To help you save energy and save money, SMECO is offering the following rebates when you purchase select ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances:
- ENERGY STAR qualified Clothes Washer: $50 or $100 rebates
- ENERGY STAR qualified Refrigerators:$100 or $150 rebate
- ENERGY STAR qualified Freezers: $75 rebate
- ENERGY STAR qualified Room Air Conditioners and/or Dehumidifiers: $25 rebate
- Electric Water Heater (non-ENERGY STAR): $25 rebate
- ENERGY STAR qualified Electric Heat Pump Water Heater: $350 rebate
To start saving today, simply:
- Buy a qualified appliance from any retailer.
- Mail in a rebate form with the product’s proof of purchase.
Clothes Washer Rebate Form
Dehumidifier Rebate Form
Freezer Rebate Form
Refrigerator Rebate Form
Room Air Conditioner Rebate Form
Water Heater Rebate Form
Program Update - $25 Dehumidifier Rebate
Get a $25 rebate on the purchase of an ENERGY STAR qualified dehumidifier. Visit the ENERGY STAR website here to see if your model qualifies for a rebate. Click on the "Qualified Dehumidifiers' spreadsheet for a complete list. If you recently purchased a model not on the list that is still labeled with ENERGY STAR, you must send your appliance form postmarked by 12/31/12 to receive a rebate. Starting 10/1/12, certain dehumidifier models no longer qualify for rebates from SMECO.
For lists of ENERGY STAR qualified products, visit the following links:
Room Air Conditioners
Note: To qualify for rebates, the purchase must be made at a Maryland retailer or you must prove that you paid Maryland sales tax if it was purchased online. To be eligible for the $100 clothes washer rebate or $150 refrigerator rebate you must purchase a super-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators with an efficiency rating at least 25% above the federal standard.
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or a landlord and fit into one of the categories below, you will need to send in an additional form with your appliance rebate form.
- Renter is the SMECO Account Holder: If you are a renter and your landlord has purchased and owns the appliance for the residence you rent, then the residential appliance rebate will be paid to your landlord. Click here for the form.
- Landlord is the SMECO Account Holder: If you are a landlord and your renter has purchased and owns the appliance in the residence, then the residential appliance rebate will be paid to your renter. Click here for the form.
Why Choose ENERGY STAR Appliances*?
- ENERGY STAR qualified appliances can save you $75 a year in energy costs, while protecting the environment.
- ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators require only about half the energy used by models made before 1993.
- An ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerator can save up to $112 in energy over its lifetime compared to new standard models.
- Most ENERGY STAR qualified clothes washers use 18–25 gallons of water per load, rather than the 40 gallons used by standard machines.
- Through superior design and system features, an ENERGY STAR qualified clothes washer thoroughly cleans clothes and can save up to $550 in energy and water costs over its lifespan.*
- ENERGY STAR qualified washers extract more water during spin cycles, which reduces drying time to save you even more energy and reduce wear and tear on fabrics.
Ways to Cut Appliance Energy Use?
- To reduce the amount of energy your refrigerator uses, minimize the amount of time the refrigerator door is open.
- Keep your refrigerator temperature set between 35 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clothes washers use about the same amount of energy regardless of the size of the load, so run full loads whenever possible.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Heating the water accounts for about 90% of the energy it takes to operate a clothes washer.
*Energy cost savings are estimates only and may vary by usage and current rates. Please see the ENERGY STAR Calculators for appliances to estimate savings:
This program supports EmPOWER Maryland.