Proposed bylaw revisions:
Stricken text in red (e.g., a fixed sum) means proposed deletions.
Red text (e.g., the Board may) means proposed additions.
Section 7.03. Capital Credit Recoupment and Offset. Notwithstanding any provisions of these bylaws to the contrary, and unless specifically prohibited by a statute of limitation or other governing law, after allocating Capital Credits to a patron or former patron, the Cooperative may recoup, offset, or setoff an amount the patron or former patron owes to the Cooperative, including any compounded interest and late payment fee, by reducing the allocated or net present value amount of Capital Credits assigned to the patron or former patron by the amount owed to the Cooperative.
Section 7.03 7.04. Assignment and Gift by
Failure to Claim.
(Bylaw text remains the same.)
Election of Directors:
Pursuant to Article IV, Section 4.03 of the bylaws, the Nominating Committee has nominated the following candidates, unless otherwise noted, for election to the Board of Directors for a three-year term. Members may vote for candidates in all counties.
(Click the county name to see the candidates in that county.)
Charles County (Two seats open)
Gilbert O. Bowling, La Plata
- B.S. degree, Agronomy and Agriculture Economics, University of Maryland.
- Farmer; former owner, Hughesville Tobacco Warehouse and Bargain Barn.
- Active in state and local politics: former campaign chairman for Delegate Sally Jameson.
- Past president, Charles County Farm Bureau.
- Member, United Methodist Church, La Plata.
- Past chairman, Charles County Zoning Appeals Board.
- SMECO Board member since 1970; member, Public Relations Committee; member, Policy, Audit and Budget Committee; past chairman, SMECO Board; past vice president of SMECO Board; past chairman, Personnel and Benefits Committee; NRECA Certified Director, holds the NRECA Board Leadership Series Certificate and Director Gold Certificate.
Kevin F. Corcoran, Newburg
- B.S. degree, Electrical Engineering, University of Virginia.
- Director of Product Management, Aclara Technologies (a Hubbell Power Systems company).
- Past chairman, vice chair, Division Commissioner, and Board member, Frederick Summer Swim League (FSSL).
- Past Board member, Braddock Heights Swim Team, FSSL Liaison, referee.
- Member, IEEE Power and Engineering Society; NRECA TechAdvantage attendee since 2017.
- Holder of six patents in powerline communications and Voice-over-IP networking.
Kenneth W. Cross, La Plata
- The American College of Life Underwriters, CLU (September 1973).
- Former District Manager, Peoples Security Life Insurance Company, Waldorf, MD (1986–1994).
- Co-Owner and Founder of Cross & Wood and Associates, Inc. (1994–2016).
- Board vice president, The Jude House, Inc. (2015–present).
- Member, Legislative Committee, Charles County Chamber of Commerce (1986–present).
- Former member Board of Appeals, Charles County, served 10 years.
- Former Board president, The Center for Children (1987–1988).
- Former Board president, Alternatives for Youth and Family (1998–2007).
- U.S. Navy—USNR Vietnam Veteran (USS Providence Flagship U.S. Seventh Fleet, Naval Security Group, 1962–1964, Vietnam).
Jeannette Devine, Waldorf
- B.S. degree in Family Studies, University of Maryland, College Park; M.A. degree in Counseling Psychology with a concentration in Adlerian Theory, Bowie State University; Doctoral Candidate, Walden University.
- Committee management officer and contracting representative’s officer, United States Government.
- Past vice president, Homeowners Association Board of Directors, Stonebridge II.
- Member, The National Society of Leadership and Success, Walden University Chapter, Sigma Alpha Pi.
Nelson Torres, Ph.D. Waldorf
- B.S. degree, Excelsior College; M.A. degree, Webster University; Ph.D., Northcentral University.
- Associate Director, Business Operations Division, Smithsonian Institution.
- Trustee, Field School, Washington, D.C. 2016–2017.
- Board member, Charles County Blue Ribbon Commission on Diversity and Inter-Group Relations, 2007–2010.
- Senior fellow, Partnership for Public Service; 2008–present.
- U.S. Marine Corps, retired.
Richard A. Winkler, La Plata
- B.S. degree, University of Maryland University College.
- Director of Fiscal and Administrative Services for Charles County (27 years), retired; United States Air Force 1964, 1968, and 1969.
- Past vice chairman, Board of Directors, University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center; past member, Finance, Executive & Compensation Committee; past chairman, Board of Fire and Rescue Commissioners; chairman, Board of Trustees for McDonough Charity School, Inc.
- Current and past memberships include: Charles County Rotary Club; Knights of Columbus; American Legion; Charles/St. Mary’s Baseball League; Charles County Democratic Central Committee.
- SMECO Board member since 2006; chairman of the Board of Directors, 2013 to 2018; chairman, Board Risk Oversight Committee; member, Personnel and Benefits Committee; NRECA Certified Director, holds the NRECA Board Leadership Series Certificate and Director Gold Certificate.
Calvert County (One seat open)
David E. Dickinson, Huntingtown
- B.A. degree in Political Science with a minor in Leadership, Virginia Tech; Master of Public Administration, LSU E.J. Ourso College of Business; Change Management Executive Certificate, Georgetown McDonough School of Business.
- Corporate strategy consultant to Fortune 100 and 500 clients since 2010.
- Secretary, Federal Staff Council, Civil Commercial Group.
- Agile coach, mentor, and team facilitator.
- Service Excellence Award, IBM; Passionate Service Award for Exceptional Client Support, BAH.
- Vice president of the Farms at Hunting Creek Homeowners Association (177 homes).
- Eagle Scout Life Member since 2002.
- Graduate, U.S. Army Airborne School, Ft. Benning GA, 2004.
- Hobbies include skiing, hiking, skydiving, riding motorcycles and ATVs, going to the beach, enjoying professional and collegiate sports, and playing with my dog Dixie.
W. Michael Phipps, Owings
- B.S. degree, Business and Management, University of Maryland University College, summa cum laude.
- Farmer, musician, former bank officer, licensed funeral director.
- Honorary director, Calvert County Farm Bureau; usher and Cemetery Committee chairman, Mt. Harmony UM Church.
- Past president, MD Farm Bureau; past president, Calvert County Nursing Center; past president, Calvert Farmland Trust; past vice chairman, Calvert County Planning Commission.
- Lead singer and guitarist, The Country Gentlemen Tribute Bluegrass Band.
- SMECO Board member since 1998; vice chairman of the Board of Directors; chairman, Policy, Audit and Budget Committee; member, Board Risk Oversight Committee; NRECA Certified Director, holds the NRECA Board Leadership Series Certificate and Director Gold Certificate.
Douglas J. Smith, Lusby, nominated by petition
- Annapolis High School.
- Born in Calvert County, 1949.
- Owner/President/Builder, Housewright Construction Co., Inc, 1980–present.
- Structural safety inspector for Sanibel Island, as needed, for FEMA emergencies 2019–present.
- Professional firefighter and EMT, Anne Arundel County Fire Department, 1973–2000.
- Professional firefighter, AFL-CIO, 1973–2000; Local 1563 shop steward, 1976–1977.
- Board of Governors, Solomons Island Yacht Club, 2018–present; member, Solomons Island Yacht Club, 2010–present; Solomons Island Harbor Host for the AGLACA, 2018–present.
- Member of Middleham and St. Peters Parish.
Prince George’s County (one seat open)
James A. Richards, Brandywine
- A.A. degree, Fire Science Technology, Prince George’s Community College; Senior Command Noncommissioned Officer Academy.
- Owner, Richards Enterprises; firefighter, Prince George’s County Fire Department, retired.
- Senior master sergeant, D.C. Air National Guard, retired (22 years military service).
- Gold Star of Valor, Prince George’s County Fire Department; Meritorious Service Award, Clinton Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad.
- Director and past president, Brandywine Lions Club; financial secretary, Brookfield United Methodist Church.
- SMECO Board member since 2001; member, Capital Projects Committee; member, Public Relations Committee; NRECA Certified Director, holds the NRECA Board Leadership Series Certificate and Director Gold Certificate; lifelong resident, Prince George’s County.
St. Mary’s County (One seat open)
James P. Dell, Lexington Park
- B.S. and M.S. degrees, Civil Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY; M.B.A. degree, Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ; M.A. degree, Naval War College, Newport, RI; licensed Professional Engineer, Maryland and New Jersey. Former construction arbitration panelist, American Arbitration Association.
- Captain, Civil Engineer Corps, U.S. Navy, retired; 26-year career managing navy engineering, construction, public works, and disaster recovery worldwide. U.S. government facilities and services contracting officer with unlimited authority. One assignment was managing the Naval Research Lab station in Chesapeake Beach. Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (five times).
- Post Navy employment: LB&B, managing base support at six Washington, DC area naval bases; L-3 Communications; Rohrbach Group, providing the Navy and Marine Corps consultation services for privatized utilities.
- Past president, Southern Maryland Chapter, Maryland Society of Professional Engineers; past president, Korea and New Jersey Posts, Society of American Military Engineers both with Distinguished Post Honors; member, Chesapeake Bay Foundation; worked with SMECO to proctor MATHCOUNTS competitions.
Scott Randall, Hollywood
- B.S. degree, Illinois State University; pursuing a Master’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University; attended advanced classes at Harvard Business School and McGill University.
- Vice President and General Manager, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia, Atlantic Broadband.
- 33 years of utility industry experience providing service to rural areas.
- Member, Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department.
- Member, Maryland Task Force on Rural Internet, Broadband, Wireless and Cellular Service, appointed by Governor Larry Hogan.
- Scott resides in Hollywood with his wife Mickey and Remington, their Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
P. Scott White, Hollywood
- Chairman, SMECO Board of Directors, NRECA Certified Director, holds the NRECA Board Leadership Series Certificate and Director Gold Certificate. SMECO board member since 2010, SMECO member since 1997.
- President & CEO, HTii, a Veteran Owned Small Business.
- Retired Naval Officer, aerospace engineer, acquisition professional; graduate of the United States Naval Test Pilot School.
- Treasurer and member of the Board of Directors, Navy League, Patuxent River Council.
- Past chairman, SMECO Board Risk Oversight Committee; past chairman of Nominating Committee and member of Board of Directors, Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training; past chairman of Recruitment Committee and member of Board of Directors, Leadership Maryland.
- M.S. degree, Systems Management, Naval Postgraduate School; B.S. degree, Civil Engineering, Virginia Military Institute.