I’m moving. How do I get electric service?
- Please call SMECO at 1-888-440-3311 or use the online form.
- We will need the exact address of the home, apartment, or business you are moving into.
- Please provide the date the service should go in your name.
- Moving on the weekend? We need to turn the service on Friday (if it’s not a holiday).
- Moving on a weekday? We may turn the service on as late as 4 p.m. So if you want it on early, make sure it’s on the day before you move.
Do I need to pay a deposit for electric service?
- New residential customers will be required to establish credit with SMECO or pay a customer deposit.
- Deposits can be paid in installments depending on the amount.
- After meeting certain requirements, the deposit may be refunded after 16 months.
- If you meet certain criteria you may be eligible to have your deposit waived.
- Provide a credit report run in the last 12 months with a FICO score of 650 or higher.
- Provide a letter of credit from another utility.
- Credit reports or letters of credit can be e-mailed to SMECO.
Can my electric service be disconnected for non-payment in the winter time?
- SMECO can disconnect service in the winter months. SMECO first makes every attempt to collect past due debt—up to and including a personal visit to the residence—prior to disconnecting the service. Our Contact Center is open 24/7 to discuss alternate payment arrangements.
What ways can I pay my bill?
SMECO offers several FREE options for paying your bill.
- Text us or download our free SMECO 24/7 app.
- Use our automated phone system at 1-866-528-7757.
- Call one of our representatives at 1-888-440-3311.
- Go to our SMECO website to pay your bill directly or log into your account.
- Use your online banking website.
- Go to one of our offices in Hughesville or Leonardtown. Look up the office locations and hours of operation.
- Pay at a local Walmart. (The stores charge service fees.) Read our list of payment locations.
Why can’t I pay my bill online or on your automated phone system when it’s past due?
- To keep your power on, your bill needs to be paid by a certain date. Automated payments are not processed immediately so customers should not rely on an automated system if their service is scheduled to be cut off. You should call our Contact Center, where, if full past due payment has not been made, we are able to discuss alternate payment arrangements with you. Call 1-888-440-3311.
I have a credit on my active account that I would like refunded. How can I obtain my credit?
- To avoid possible fraud concerns, customer overpayments will be reviewed on an individual account basis. Please contact us at 1-888-440-3311.
What are SMECO’s office hours?
- Our walk-in lobby in Hughesville is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. and closed on holidays.
The customer service center at the Leonardtown office is closed as of June 1, 2021. While the new SMECO facility is undergoing construction, the office will remain closed until the new customer service center opens this winter.
- Our Contact Center is available 24/7 at 1-888-440-3311.