COVID-19 Assistance

Many of our customer-members are facing financial difficulty, and we want to help lighten your load. By working together, we can help you get through these challenging times.

Take steps to avoid disconnection

Need an extension on paying your bill? You may be eligible to set up payment arrangements to avoid having your electric service disconnected. Log in to Account Manager and look for the “payment arrangements” link. To inquire about a 12-month payment arrangement, call 1-888-440-3311 any time and speak to a customer care representative.

Apply for financial assistance

To apply for financial assistance from the Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) go to OHEP-certified customers qualify for a minimum 24-month payment plan. (OHEP is a state-funded program under the Maryland Department of Human Services. Assistance is based on your last 30 days of income.) The local OHEP office in Hughesville can be reached at 1-800-255-5313 and in Prince George’s County at 301-909-6300 if you need help.

The Maryland Office of People’s Counsel offers the resources below to help you apply for energy assistance.

To process your application for assistance, you will need to submit the following items to OHEP.

  • A copy of your photo ID
  • Proof of residence (mortgage statement, lease, etc.)
  • Copies of Social Security cards for all household members
  • Proof of all gross income your household received in the last 30 days
  • A copy of your most recent utility bill showing the past due amount

Make sure you have the following so your application won’t be delayed.

  • The applicant’s name must be on the electric bill.
  • All household members must be included.
  • All household income for the last 30 days must be included.

How do I apply for food, cash, medical, energy and emergency assistance?

For quicker processing, customers are strongly encouraged to submit food, cash, energy, emergency, and aged/blind/disabled medical assistance applications online via either the Department of Human Services (DHS) website or the MyDHR portal.

How can I check the status of the application or obtain case information?

For applications submitted online, you can check the status of your food, cash, energy, emergency, and aged/blind/disabled medical assistance applications submitted online on the MyDHR website.

Bill Assistance Programs

COVID-19 Resources for Businesses

SMECO Energy Rates

Helpful Tips

SMECO Spotlights