SMECO offers a variety of programs and services to its members.
As a new member, we want to introduce you to some of the online features we offer. Click below and take our quick and easy interactive journey for highlights to help you plug in with ease.
Below are links to brochures and pages that can help new customers learn more about their Co-op.
Customer Service Information:
- Bylaws of Southern Maryland Electric Co-op (PDF) - This booklet provides the rules and regulations adopted by Co-op members like you to govern SMECO’s internal affairs.
- Control Your Electric Bill (PDF) - This self-help guide provides you with facts and figures on how to help keep your electric bills to a minimum. Learn to regulate your electrical usage and eliminate waste. You can also view these videos: How to Save on Your Heating Bill and How to Save on Your Cooling Bill.
- Using Your Heat Pump (PDF) - Tips and explanations are provided with basic information on how to operate your heat pump efficiently. Diagrams will help you understand how your heat pump operates.
- Prepare for a Power Outage - This page provides information on how to be prepared in case of an outage. Check out our video.
Home Service Programs:
- Appliance Rebates and Recycling - SMECO offers rebates for ENERGY STAR qualified clothes washers and refrigerators, as well as rewards for picking up old refrigerators and freezers for recycling.
- ENERGY STAR for New Homes - Build your new home to be more energy efficient. This page explains the energy savings and other benefits of the ENERGY STAR program.
- Residential Heating and Cooling Rebates - You can save on your electric bill when you install a new central air conditioner or heat pump. A high-efficiency unit installed by a participating contractor can help you save energy, save money, and protect the environment.
- SMECO CoolSentry - You’ll receive a programmable thermostat and up to $50 in annual bill credits when you participate in this energy-saving program.
- StormSentry (PDF) - Protect your home appliances with SMECO’s StormSentry program. For a low monthly fee, this service protects your large appliances from surges caused by lightning and other sources. You’ll also receive a free plug-in surge protector.