Appliances help you keep your home running smoothly. However, they also use a lot of energy.
To help you save energy and save money, SMECO offers instant rebates when you purchase select ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostats and hybrid heat pump water heaters.
Now you can find instant rebates on qualifying smart thermostats and hybrid heat pump water heaters at participating retailers — so you save big before leaving the store!
Smart Thermostat – Up to $75 Rebate
- Visit our Smart Thermostats page for a list of qualified thermostats
- Visit SMECO Online Store
- Apply for Instant Rebates
Get a rebate up to $75 when you purchase a qualifying ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat.
Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater – Instant Rebate
Qualifying models that hold 55 gallons or less must have an energy factor of 2.0 or higher, while units larger than 55 gallons must have an energy factor of 2.2 or higher.
Multiple Ways to Get Your Rebate:
- Contact a participating contractor specially trained on installing electric hybrid heat pump water heaters
- Purchase your qualifying heat pump water heater directly from any retailer and fill out the rebate application
- Get an instant rebate online or in stores
Inflation Reduction Act
In August 2022, the federal government passed the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), which allocated more than $369 billion over 10 years to several energy efficiency initiatives. Wondering how you can take advantage of these tax credits?
With SMECO’s Appliance Rebates Program, you’re eligible for an $800 instant rebate on a new qualifying heat pump water heater. Plus, a heat pump water heater is super energy-efficient and will help you save money over its lifetime. Combine that with Inflation Reduction Act federal tax credits of 30% off of the cost of the heat pump water heater (up to $2,000) and the savings will continue to pile up.
Disclaimer: SMECO is not a qualified tax consultant. This information is not intended as personal tax advice. Please contact a tax professional or CPA to confirm details specific to your qualifications and eligibility.
Here’s How It Works
Shop at one of our participating retailers:
Lowe’s (Heat Pump Water Heaters)
- 2525 Crain Highway, Waldorf
- 300 Rosewick Road, La Plata
- 45075 Worth Avenue, California
The Home Depot (Smart Thermostats and Heat Pump Water Heaters)
- 12050 Jefferson Farm Place, Waldorf
Look for these signs in the store, near smart thermostats and heat pump water heaters.
Then follow these simple steps on the signs:
Verify your eligibility and get your coupon code
Scan coupon code at checkout and save
There are many other ENERGY STAR certified products and appliances that help you save energy and money. Check out the Select ENERGY STAR Appliances page for details.
If you purchase your appliance online, you must pay the Maryland Sales and Use Tax to be eligible to receive your rebate. If the retailer did not include sales tax on the transaction, you can go to the Comptroller of Maryland website for more information.
Finding a Participating Contractor
Get an instant rebate on select ENERGY STAR® certified hybrid heat pump water heaters. Qualifying models that hold 55 gallons or less must have an energy factor of 2.0 or higher, while units larger than 55 gallons must have an energy factor of 2.2 or higher.
|Equipment||Tank Size||Energy Factor|
|ENERGY STAR certified Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater||≤ 55 gallons||≥ 2.2|
|ENERGY STAR certified Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater||> 55 gallons||≥ 2.2|
How to Participate
To get your hybrid heat pump water heater rebate through a participating contractor, follow the steps below:
Determine your eligibility
Schedule installation with a participating contractor
Your contractor will submit your instant rebate application for you
Hunt Plumbing, Heating, and Air Conditioning LLC
27175 Cox Drive, Mechanicsville, MD. 20659
Eligibility for Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater Rebates
- Rebates are available to all eligible SMECO residential customers, regardless of electric supplier. Limit one certified hybrid heat pump water heater rebate per SMECO household, on purchases made beginning May 4, 2015, or while funds last.
- ENERGY STAR® certified hybrid heat pump water heaters 55 gallons and under must have an Energy Factor of 2.0 or above. ENERGY STAR® certified hybrid heat pump water heaters over 55 gallons must have an Energy Factor of 2.2 or above.
- Customer’s home must be a separately metered single-family residence (either a detached or attached unit).*
- Customers can receive a rebate one of two ways:
- Shop at a participating retailer to apply for an instant rebate coupon for immediate savings
- Work with a participating contractor to install your equipment. The participating contractor will then submit the necessary documentation on behalf of the customer
- To be processed, rebate applications submitted by a participating contractor must be accompanied by a signed Customer Verification Form and an invoice for the completed work that includes:
- Full name of the SMECO account holder
- Premise location where the work was completed
- Itemized invoice
- Service date
- Complete cost of the work performed
- Model and serial number of equipment installed
*Attached units are defined as duplexes, condominiums or townhouses that have their own water heaters. Multifamily residential water heaters are not eligible. Customers with individually-metered water heaters are eligible.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.