How Does It Work?
When you enroll your smart thermostat, SMECO will make small, brief adjustments* during times of peak electric demand.
- During those short adjustments, your smart thermostat will cycle your AC compressor to reduce the high energy demand on the electric grid
- Thermostat adjustments will affect the temperature of your home by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. Your central AC fan will continue to circulate air throughout your home.
- You can opt-out of an event at any time, for any reason
- Once the typical 2 to 3-hour event is over, your smart thermostat will trigger your AC system to automatically resume operation and adjust the temperature to your normal setting and schedule
- Reducing energy demand during peak periods increases sustainability and benefits all members in the SMECO community
SMECO CoolSentry program participants are not eligible for SMECO’s SmartTemp program.
*Enrolled thermostats will be adjusted by no more than 4º F during peak periods.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.