No, the check you received belongs to the payee on the check and state law requires that we can only reissue the check payable to their estate. Please follow these instructions.
- If you have an estate account for the customer, please attempt to deposit the check
- If you cannot deposit the check, return the check to SMECO for reissue and include both of the following:
- An original Letter of Administration for the customer issued in the last 12 months
- An original Death Certificate for the customer. Mail the check to SMECO, Attn: Capital Credits, PO Box 1937, Hughesville, MD 20637
- We will reissue the check payable to the customer’s estate