Capital Credit Refund FAQs

What happens to unclaimed funds if no one claims them?

After three years, payments to vendors or donations to local organizations are paid to the State of Maryland. The state then reports the funds on their Unclaimed Property Listing. Once the funds are turned over to the state, the appropriate party must file a claim with the state of Maryland to obtain the funds. Unclaimed Capital Credits are retained by SMECO and become part of the cooperative’s permanent equity.

I received a capital credit refund check for my deceased mother, father, or someone else. Can you reissue the check to me?

No, the check you received belongs to the payee on the check and state law requires that we can only reissue the check payable to their estate. Please follow these instructions.

  1. If you have an estate account for the customer, please attempt to deposit the check
  2. If you cannot deposit the check, return the check to SMECO for reissue and include both of the following:
    • An original Letter of Administration for the customer issued in the last 12 months
    • An original Death Certificate for the customer. Mail the check to SMECO, Attn: Capital Credits, PO Box 1937, Hughesville, MD 20637
  3. We will reissue the check payable to the customer’s estate