Job TypeFULL TIME/EMPLOYEE
1. Directs the Communications Department resources in the major functions of design, installation, testing, and maintenance of the fiber optic SONET based communication system including: (1) licensed 900 MHz multiple address system (MAS) for substation communications, (2) licensed VHF mobile radio system, and (3) Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI) TGB base station communication backhaul.
2. Directs the communication requirements to support the design, installation, testing, and maintenance of the following areas (1) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system, (2) 230kV and 69kV protective relaying communications, and (3) 13kV distribution automation schemes.
3. Provides the necessary 24-hour technical support for all power system communications to maintain system reliability and NERC compliance.
4. Implements the architecture for and operates IP-Based communication systems and IAN/WAN networks.
THE JOB FUNCTION INCLUDES:
1. Directs the overall functions of design, installation, testing, and maintenance of the Cooperative’s essential fiber optic, land mobile radio, and SCADA multiple address radio communication systems. Responsible for maintaining communications equipment testing records. VALUE: 15%
2. Directs the development and operation of secure primary and alternate communication routes for protective relaying transfer trip schemes, line differential relaying, and distribution automation schemes. VALUE: 15%
3. Directs the development and operations of the fiber optic SONET network. Directs the investigation of malfunctions and recommends required corrective actions and/or system modifications. VALUE: 15%
4. Directs the overall maintenance of the Cooperative’s land mobile radio communication systems in accordance with federal regulations. Maintains records to ensure compliance with FCC regulations. VALUE: 15%
5. Responsible for NERC Communication reliability standards and participates in all Reliability First and PJM Audits. VALUE: 15%.
6. Directs the development, installation, testing, and maintenance of substation IP networking applications including routing, VLANs, CIP Compliance, and cybersecurity regulations as applied to the AMI meter reading, protective relaying, and SCADA System computer interfaces. VALUE: 15%
7. Develops the section’s budget and work plan for incorporation into the Division’s overall budget and work plan. VALUE: 5%
8. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned and completes training necessary to maintain or enhance job performance. VALUE: 5%
Starting salary ranges is $114,200-$154,100 annually. SMECO offers an excellent benefits program including a 401k 6% dollar for dollar match and additional 3% non-elective company contribution.
Interested applicants should apply via our website at www.smeco.coop/careers.
Four-year college degree in electrical or electronic engineering is required with communication system electives preferred. Professional Engineering certification is required. CISCO or CCNA Certification is desirable.
Must have 10 or more year’s progressive work experience in power systems communications in an electric utility with knowledge of relative communications applications.