Job TypePART TIME/EMPLOYEE
SMECO is a customer-owned cooperative that is committed to ensuring that the organization is the employer of choice for the Southern Maryland region. SMECO is dedicated to providing a culture of inclusion and an environment that values diversity of its members and staff while promoting performance excellence and work/life balance.
SMECO demonstrates commitment to its employees by taking an active role in developing and implementing progressive programs, maintaining a competitive benefits package, and providing value-added services that attract and retain talented individuals.
We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, as a current engineering student, you will enhance your educational experience through the relevant work experience in the areas of project management, protection and control relaying, substation, transmission, and distribution.
THE JOB FUNCTION INCLUDES:
This list provides a general statement of duties to provide the intern with the opportunity to learn the standards within the industry and the cooperative. This list is not considered to be exhaustive and may be enhanced as processes change.
A. Assists the engineers and technicians with calculations and studies that pertain to the company’s transmission and distribution systems.
B. Assists in construction projects by participating in the preparation of construction drawings and material specifications through the bid process through award.
C. Participates in commission testing in automated control devices.
D. Observe field crews during construction activities.
E. Performs assignments designed to develop professional work knowledge and abilities, requiring application of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks.
F. Maintain good relations in all contacts with general public and coworkers.
G. Observes all safety rules.
- The student must be enrolled in an ABET accredited engineering program with an in- program status of junior or senior.
- Must hold a valid Maryland Driver’s License, Class C or above, and be willing and capable of driving vehicle under adverse road and weather conditions.
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must have the physical ability to perform the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of the job which include, but are not limited to, walking, bending, sitting, lifting and carrying loads averaging 25 pounds.
- Intern may be required to work outdoors with exposure to heat and cold and in rainy or other inclement weather, except when the Cooperative finds it too extreme.
This position pays$18.00/hr.
Interested applicants should apply via our website atwww.smeco.coop/careers.