Job TypeFULL TIME/EMPLOYEE
1. Directs the System Protection and Control Department resources in the major functions of design, installation, testing and maintenance of the following areas: (1) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system, and (2) 230kV transmission, 69kV sub-transmission, substation, and 13kV distribution protective relaying systems.
2. Directs the Department efforts in improving service reliability, including the selection of all protective equipment and relaying systems. Provides guidance to the Operations Center with electric system configuration during contingency as well as normal situations.
3. Provides the necessary 24-hour technical support for system reliability for all electronic Systems and NERC Compliance.
THE JOB FUNCTION INCLUDES:
1. Directs the development of the testing procedures of protective relay systems and transfer trip equipment for transmission, substation and distribution equipment to ensure proper operation in order to minimize outages. Responsible for maintaining relaying equipment testing records VALUE: 20%
2. Directs the development of local and communication-assisted differential, impedance, directional/non-directional overcurrent, sync-check, and voltage/frequency based protective relaying schemes for 230, 69, and 13 kV systems. VALUE: 20%
3. Responsible for NERC Relaying reliability standards and participates in all Reliability First and PJM Audits. Maintains protective relaying equipment testing records as required by the MD PSC and NERC compliance VALUE: 15%.
4. Directs preparation and checking of settings for directional and non-directional over-current, impedance, differential, under-frequency, over and under-voltage, and reverse power protective relaying devices associated with SMECO’s transmission, substation, and distribution systems. VALUE: 15%
5. Directs the investigation of highly complex control system malfunctions and determines required corrective actions and/or system modifications. Provide technical support to the Apparatus section regarding construction, maintenance and commissioning of substation equipment. VALUE: 15%
6. Ensures continual information exchange with the Planning, Distribution, Construction, Apparatus, Systems Operation, and Regional Distribution departments to insure proper information exchange to achieve optimal system performance and reliability. VALUE: 5%
7. Maintains information exchange with the Potomac Electric Power Company, PJM, and Reliability First to insure SMECO’s compliance with applicable regulations as well as to ensure continuity of protective relaying systems. VALUE: 5%
8. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned and completes training necessary to maintain or enhance job performance. VALUE: 5%
Starting salary ranges is $114,200-$154,100 annually. SMECO offers an excellent benefits program including a 401k 6% dollar for dollar match and additional 3% non-elective company contribution.
Interested applicants should apply via our website at www.smeco.coop/careers.
Four-year college degree in electrical or electronic engineering, with some power system electives preferred. Professional Engineer Certification is required.
Minimum fifteen years progressive work experience in electric utility systems design, protection and control, with knowledge of relative power systems applications.