Alternate Payment Plans
- A customer who is unable to pay for electric service in accordance with SMECO billing practices may, under certain circumstances, negotiate an alternate payment plan
- The alternate payment plan will take into account the customer’s circumstances, financial condition, and payment history
- Arrangements for alternate payment plans can be made in Account Manager, in person, or over the phone: (888) 440-3311. Payment arrangements must be made before the termination date.
- The plan negotiated will be noted on the customer’s account record at SMECO – If the customer fails to meet the obligations agreed upon, SMECO may initiate turn-off procedures without further notice for a past-due balance
Bill Extender Plan
- SMECO offers a Bill Extender Plan to assist qualifying residential members
- You may qualify if you receive Social Security benefits or other government financial assistance as the main source of income within your household or if you are at least 62 years old
- The plan automatically extends the date a current bill is due to a 32-day due date.
- Local churches may offer assistance.
- You may also download a PDF of the Energy Assistance Card (PDF).