Get a $100 Rebate:
Heating and cooling account for up to 50% of the energy you use at home.* When you switch to an ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat, you can reduce your home’s annual energy use. A smart thermostat learns your patterns and factors in the weather to automatically adjust your home’s temperature for improved comfort and performance. It is connected to Wi-Fi, so you can control it from anywhere. You can also choose to “set it and forget it” for greater ease of use and convenience, while saving energy. Plus, you can get a $100 rebate for making the switch!**
Save Money and Improve Comfort:
When you upgrade to an ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat, you can:
- Get a $100 rebate.
- Control your home’s heating and cooling system from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Set energy-saving temperatures when you’re asleep or away from home.
- Allow your thermostat to learn your preferences and automatically adjust.
Ready to get started? Choose the option that’s best for you.
Ways to Participate:
- Purchase a qualified smart thermostat from any Maryland retailer or from SMECO’s online store.
- Enroll in the Home Energy Improvement Program and have a qualifying smart thermostat installed.
- Find a participating HVAC contractor to install an eligible smart thermostat.
- Build an ENERGY STAR certified new home with a SMECO participating builder, who will install a smart thermostat.
After you choose how to participate, then complete the online rebate form or mail in a completed rebate form (PDF).
Once your qualified model is installed, you may be eligible to save even more—up to 3% annually—through SMECO's Thermostat Optimization Plus (TOP) Saver program.
*Source: energystar.gov, 2018
**To be eligible for a rebate, you must be a SMECO residential customer-member with a heat pump or central AC, and you must purchase a qualifying smart thermostat. Limit three thermostat rebates per household.
Thermostat optimization is the process of using weather data and thermostat data to learn how your house reacts when it is in heating or cooling mode. Using this data, we “optimize” the thermostat by making small adjustments to the settings, and that allows us to save energy year-round.
Thermostat optimization is not the same as SMECO’s CoolSentry program. To participate in SMECO’s CoolSentry program, you may have a DCU installed on your outdoor unit instead of having a CoolSentry thermostat.