Save Money and Improve Comfort:
Heating and cooling account for up to 50% of the energy you use at home.*
When you switch to an ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat, you can reduce your home’s annual energy use by:
- Controlling your home’s heating and cooling system from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Choosing to “set it and forget it” for greater ease of use and convenience, while saving energy.
- Allowing your thermostat to learn your preferences and automatically adjust temperature settings for improved comfort and performance.
Plus, you can get a $100 rebate for making the switch!**
Ways to Participate
Ready to get started? Choose the option that’s best for you.
- Purchase a qualified smart thermostat from any Maryland retailer or from SMECO’s Online Store. Then complete the online rebate form or mail in a completed rebate form (PDF).
If you purchase your appliance online, you must pay the Maryland Sales and Use Tax to be eligible to receive your rebate. If the retailer did not include sales tax on the transaction, you can go to the Comptroller of Maryland website for more information.
- Work with a Participating HVAC Contractor to purchase and install an eligible smart thermostat. Then the contractor will submit a rebate form on your behalf. Installation fees vary by contractor.
- Schedule a home energy analysis through SMECO’s HEIP program and work with an approved contractor to install an ecobee 3 Lite or ecobee 4 and schedule a no-cost installation. Visit the No-Cost Installation tab to get details.
- Build an ENERGY STAR Certified New Home with a SMECO participating builder, who will install a smart thermostat and submit a rebate form on your behalf.
- Schedule your appointment for a home energy analysis through the Home Energy Improvement Program. As you start the scheduling process, click “yes” when asked to indicate your interest in a $100 rebate and no-cost installation.
An approved HVAC Installation Contractor will contact you to determine which eligible smart thermostat (ecobee 3 Lite or ecobee 4) you want to purchase and have installed in your home.
Save Even More:
Once your qualified model is installed, you may be eligible to save even more—up to 3% annually—through SMECO's TOP Saver Program.
Thermostat optimization is the process of using weather data and thermostat data to learn how your house reacts when it is in heating or cooling mode. Using this data, we “optimize” the thermostat by making small adjustments to the settings, and that allows you to save energy year-round.
Thermostat optimization is not the same as SMECO’s CoolSentry Program. To participate in SMECO’s CoolSentry Program, you may have a DCU installed on your outdoor unit instead of having a CoolSentry thermostat.
**To be eligible for a rebate, you must be a SMECO residential customer-member with a heat pump or central AC, and you must purchase a qualifying smart thermostat directly or through a participating contractor. Limit three thermostat rebates per household.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.