Updated February 4, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
SMECO has taken the following steps to comply with best practices in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- SMECO’s customer service counters are open on a limited basis, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays. We have a number of free, easy ways for customer-members to pay their bills.
- While Maryland was under stay-at-home orders, utilities provided electric service to residential customers regardless of their ability to pay. The Maryland Public Service Commission authorized utilities to resume disconnecting service in November 2020. If you need help, take steps to avoid disconnection of service.
- If you need assistance paying your SMECO electric bill, there are a variety of programs available.
- SMECO encourages customer-members who can contribute to the Members Helping Members program to enroll. New participants are eligible for a reward!
- Our work is vital to the community, but our employees’ health is also important, so we have reduced the number of personnel who report to SMECO’s offices by having more than 200 employees work remotely.
- Line workers and servicemen are working staggered shifts to maintain social distancing. Furthermore, employees who work in the field can start their workday without reporting to the office.
- We are suspending the use of compressed work schedules for all personnel in order to make sure we have staffing continuity and coverage.
- We have suspended non-essential SMECO travel, and we are also discouraging non-essential personnel from entering our facilities.