Job TypeFULL TIME/EMPLOYEE
Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative has an opening for a Transmission System Operator or Senior Transmission System Operator at our Hughesville location. The Transmission System Operator is responsible for the safe and reliable real-time operation of SMECO’s transmission system in compliance with NERC, PJM, Maryland Public Service Commission and company guidelines.
Characteristics and Attributes:
1) Flexible Schedule- must have the ability to work shiftwork (Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays)
2) Attention to Detail – adequate attention, as failure to concentrate may lead to unnecessary mistakes, equipment damage, or even bodily harm.
3) Communication Skills – ability to write well, listen well, to understand and follow procedures, and to direct others.
4) Multitasking - ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without confusion or stress.
5) Problem Solving – the ability to identify complex problems and looks for ways to implement safe and reliable solutions.
6) Time management – ability to plan and implement objectives within given time and resource constraints, some of which is independent, with minimal direction.
7) Computer proficiency – quickly grasp the operation of EMS, databases, Microsoft Office suite and related applications.
Education and Training:
• A two-year college degree, or equivalent, with emphasis in math, statistics, basic electricity, with specialized training in electric utility operation and maintenance is required. A minimum five years of progressive experience in the operation, construction and maintenance of electric utility systems is required. SCADA experience is preferred.
• For the Senior Transmission System operator level, current NERC and PJM Transmission Operator certifications required.
• For the Transmission System operator level, must be able to receive NERC and PJM Transmission Operator certifications within one year.
Compensation may vary based on education and experience. SMECO offers an excellent benefits program including a 401K 6% dollar for dollar match and additional 3% non-elective company contribution.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Interested candidate should apply via SMECO’s website at www.smeco.coop/careers.