Whether you own a convenience store, place of worship, small family business, or diner, you can reduce your energy costs while enhancing workplace comfort. The Small Business Solutions Program offers small business customers the opportunity to retrofit existing equipment with more energy-efficient technologies.
The Small Business Solutions Program offers incentives for qualifying energy-efficient equipment upgrades like lighting, refrigeration, and smart thermostat retrofit projects to all SMECO commercial customers with a monthly demand of 60 kilowatts (kW) or less over a 12-month period. So whether you own a convenience store, serve at a place of worship, or run a small family business, you can reduce your energy costs while enhancing workplace comfort.
You’ll also see a fast return on investment, thanks to financial incentives that cover up to 80% of retrofit project costs. Plus, you also have the ability to spread your 20% cost of qualifying projects over 12 monthly payments through a no-interest SMECO Small Business Advance.
- Energy-efficient technologies reduce your energy use and costs
- Retrofits offer a quick return on your investment
- Energy-efficient equipment streamlines operations and can boost workplace productivity and employee comfort
- Comprehensive on-site energy analysis and recommendations to improve your overall efficiency
- Up to 80% savings on installation or project cost for most upgrades—plus some related expenses
- Approved contractors make upgrading easy
- Removal and environmentally responsible disposal of fluorescent lamps and ballasts
Small Business HVAC Tune-Up Incentives
Improve the energy efficiency of your HVAC unit (direct-expansion rooftop units and split systems).
Your HVAC Tune-up can:
- Extend the life of existing HVAC equipment
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Increase occupant comfort and safety
- Help prevent system failure during cold and hot months
To get a HVAC Tune-up for your small business, at no additional cost, fill out the form to get started today.
Upgrade to qualifying energy-efficient equipment, like:
- Interior lighting
- Exterior LED lighting
- Lighting controls
- Refrigeration controls and other cooling-related technologies, like freezer and refrigeration cases
Email National Resource Management to get started today.
Smart Thermostat Incentives
You can receive a Wi-Fi enabled smart thermostat, a Honeywell T6 Pro Thermostat and professional installation – a $269 value – for just $69! See the Smart Thermostat factsheet for more information.
To get a smart thermostat installed for your small business, fill out the form to get started today.
Is My Business Eligible?
Look at your most recent bill and check your monthly kW demand. If your monthly demand is 60kW or less, your business likely qualifies. See the sample bill.
See the Small Business Program Fact Sheet for more information.
Beginning April 1, 2018, all incentive payments for Business Solutions program participants will be made electronically or via bill credit.
Put Technology to Work for Your Small Business
Now you can get a Honeywell T6 Pro smart thermostat and professional installation—a $269 value— for just $69.
With a Wi-Fi enabled smart thermostat, you’ll enjoy:
- Savings – Save up to 10% on your annual heating and cooling costs.*
- Convenience – Control your HVAC system from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Automated settings – Set back your HVAC system automatically on evenings and weekends when your business is closed or when spaces are unoccupied.
- Increased comfort – Rely on your thermostat’s ability to monitor weather changes and adjust the temperature to maintain comfort and lower costs.
- Settings control – Use the optional lockout feature to keep employees from tampering with the temperature.
*Savings compared to a conventional thermostat operating a 5-ton rooftop unit providing electric heating and cooling in a small retail environment. You may realize more or less savings based on equipment, fuel source, operating hours, and business and building type.
Smart thermostats have several helpful features built in.
- System Mode shows your smart thermostat’s current setting [heat/cool/auto/off].
- Temperature shows the indoor temperature in your business.
- Humidity shows the indoor humidity.
- Menu enables you to control your system based on your hours of operation and more.
- Weather shows the local weather and forecast for the week.
- Quick Changes lets you switch easily from home and away.
The Small Business Solutions Program is available to commercial customers in the SMECO service territory with rate codes 401, 402, 403, and 404 with demand of less than 60kW.
Small Business Advance FAQs
The SBA, also known as “Advance,” allows SMECO’s business customers who enroll in the Small Business Solutions Program to pay back their contributions of $1,000 or more, typically about 20% of the total project cost, through their monthly SMECO utility bills. The repayment is over a 12-month period and carries no interest charges.
No credit check is required for participation in Advance.
No interest is charged, as this is a payment deferral, not a loan.
SMECO will post the monthly Advance charge to your SMECO utility bill. It could take up to three billing cycles from project completion before the first monthly charge posts to your utility bill. The repayment amount will be displayed under other charges as “Small Business Advance.”
SMECO will set up a monthly posting to the utility bill for 12 months. After 12 occurrences, the posting automatically stops, assuming that each repayment amount was paid in full each month.
Dividing the total repayment amount by 12 may not result in a round number. The last payment trues up the difference.
The underpayment will be added to your next utility bill.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.