Heating and cooling may account for as much as 50% of your home’s energy use. We offer instant rebates on qualified heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment. When you upgrade to high-efficiency equipment, you save for years to come through reduced energy costs.
How It Works:
- Contact an authorized HVAC contractor
- Work with your authorized contractor to identify the best, energy efficient HVAC system for your home's unique needs.
- Choose your upgrades and have your contractor perform the installations.
- Your instant rebate will be reflected in your contract price.
Instant Savings on High-Efficiency HVAC Equipment:
|Equipment (AHRI Rated)||Efficiency Level|
|Smart Thermostat||Qualifying ENERGY STAR Certified Models*|
|ASHP Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER,** ≥ 13 EER,† ≥ 9 HSPF‡|
|ASHP Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 13 EER, ≥ 9.5 HSPF|
|CAC Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER and ≥ 13 EER|
|CAC Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER and ≥ 13 EER|
|Ductless Mini Split ASHP||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 9.0 HSPF|
|Multi-Zone Ductless Mini Split ASHP||≥ 15.5 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 8.6 HSPF|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||≥ 17.1 EER and ≥ 3.6 COP|
*Limit three per household.
**SEER = Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating: A rating that denotes the efficiency of air conditioning equipment. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost.
†EER = Energy Efficiency Rating: The ratio of an air conditioning unit’s cooling capacity in British thermal units (Btus) per hour to the total electrical input in watts.
‡HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance Factor: The total heating output of a heat pump in Btus during its normal usage period for heating, as divided by the total electrical energy input in watt-hours during the same period.
§COP = Coefficient of Performance: A ratio that measures the efficiency of a heat pump. The higher the number, the more efficient the heat pump.
Tips for Saving on Heating and Cooling:
- Maintain your HVAC systems with routine maintenance throughout the year. Our authorized contractors can help you set a maintenance schedule.
- Add insulation to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Install and use a programmable thermostat.
- Choose ENERGY STAR® certified models when it is time to replace your equipment.
Get answers by calling 1-877-818-4094.
Jump-Start Your Savings:
As a residential SMECO member, you can order a complimentary energy-saving kit that includes six LEDs and an efficient-flow showerhead. Claim yours today.
Resources for HVAC Contractors:
Find out how you can expand business for your company while helping SMECO members instantly save energy and money on their heating and cooling systems.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.
Source: ENERGY STAR