Need help installing your new energy-saving products in your SMECO Energy Efficiency Kit? Read below for instructions for each item included in the kit.
Feit Wi-Fi Smart Plug (1):
This Wi-Fi-enabled smart plug turns any device into a smart device. Control your devices from anywhere with one smart plug. Ideal for home appliances, lights, and more. Control from anywhere—turn on or off, and set schedules or timers with an intuitive smartphone app.
Combine devices for unified control with one single tap. Combine living room bulbs, plugs, and switches together for more convenient access. Use simple voice commands with your smart plug and Alexa or Google Assistant.Installation Video Additional Resources
M-D Foam Tape Weatherization Strips (2):
The M-D 3/8” x 17’ Gray Foam Weatherstripping Tape is a self-sticking resilient open-cell tape that compresses flat to form a tight seal. It is a 17’ low-density foam tape.
- Apply to a clean, dry surface above 40°F.
- Peel off the paper backing.
- Press into place and trim to length.
- Place tape on the bottom of the sash rail to form a seal when the window or door is closed.
Swivel Bubble (1) and Bubble Spray Aerators (3):
The 1.5 gpm (gallons per minute) swivel bubble aerator offers a 360-degree swivel that lets you direct water to where it is needed, improving your washing and rinsing efficiency. It has two spray options—a wide, full-force, multiple-stream spray; and a splash-free bubble stream.
The three pressure-compensated bubble spray aerators have an innovative water-saving solution designed to accommodate both male and female applications. It produces a forceful stream regardless of available water pressure, at a reduced one-gallon-per-minute flow rate that minimizes the amount of energy needed to heat hot water. It is chrome-plated brass with a dual threaded body. It fits most male- and female-threaded faucets.
Ensure you have the washers that came with your aerators. It may also help to have an old toothbrush, rag, and Teflon tape handy to help install your aerators.
- Unscrew the old faucet aerator from the faucet by turning it counterclockwise.
- Using an old toothbrush and rag, clean and dry the threaded area of the faucet.
- If your faucet has internal threads, use both washers provided with your aerator for installation. Place the thinner washer into the top of the aerator and press it into place, then repeat this process with the thicker washer. If your faucet has external threads, only insert the thinner washer into the aerator. You can discard the thicker washer.
- Next, screw the new faucet aerator into the faucet clockwise and hand tighten it until it fits snugly.
- If you notice leaks after turning the water on, remove the new aerator and add Teflon tape to the threads of the aerator.
Bonus Delmei Shower Head (1):
With the Delmei 1.5 gpm fixed shower head, there’s no need to sacrifice a great shower for great savings. The showerhead has multiple spray settings so you can customize your shower while still conserving water.
Tools and materials needed to help install your showerhead include electrical tape, slip joint pliers, an adjustable wrench, a microfiber cloth, and thread seal tape.
- Use an adjustable wrench to loosen and unscrew the old showerhead.
- Wrap sealing tape in a clockwise direction two or three times around the thread of the shower arm.
- Press the tape into the threads.
- Screw the new showerhead onto the shower arm and tighten it.
- Turn on the water and check for leaks.
- If leaks occur—wrap with thread seal tape and carefully tighten with an adjustment wrench until there are no leaks.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.